The Episcopal Church Welcomes You!

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Lessons from the Labyrinth: It’s not just me and my shadow



Lessons from the Labyrinth: It’s not just me and my shadow

This morning I walked the labyrinth as usual.  I am trying to make it a regular act before starting work whenever I am in the office.  Sunday mornings are especially nice because it’s early and usually much cooler.

This morning I was hoping for some high clouds to at least cut the sun since it was already hot at 9:00.  And it was muggy – did I mention muggy?  But alas, as they say, the sun was shining bright as I stepped to the entrance of the labyrinth.  And so it goes…

I decided to give thanks for the abundant sunshine and the warmth.  And it was easy to give thanks for the bit of breeze that swept across the sacred space as I walked.  And as I walked I found myself paying attention to my shadow.  At first it was more for fun – since I like to take shadow selfies.  But then I noticed something interesting about the walk.

Since the labyrinth takes so many twists and turns as we move along the pathway, my shadow obviously made those twists and turns along with me – sometimes following behind, sometimes running ahead, and at other times either to my left or right.  I became mindful of the sixth verse of that wonderful hymn, I Bind unto Myself Today, attributed to St. Patrick and translated by Cecil Frances Alexander.

“Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me,
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.”

I’ve never thought of seeing my shadow as a reminder of Christ’s constant presence in my life – at least I don’t remember ever considering that reality.  But as much as my shadow is always present, so Christ is always present.  Even when I cannot see my shadow, I know that with the slightest bit of light I will see it right there – a sign of my own presence in the world.  And likewise, even though I cannot always “see” Christ present with me, my faith tells me that this is so.  And I become mindful that not only is Christ present with me, but that Christ is present with all.

No comments:

Post a Comment